Tuesday, 24 August 2010

Book Review:

'A Book Worth Reading'

'The Lace Reader'


The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry

Harper Collins. August 2008
ISBN: 978 0 06 166826 5

The Whitney women of Salem Massachusetts,are renowned for reading the future within their patterns of lace. This beautifully told story tells the fictional tale of Towner Whitney who in the beginning is very much alone. When she was fifteen she fled her home and family when her gift brought her whole world crashing down. Fifteen years later when her beloved Great Aunt Eva disappears, Towner returns to Salem to face the terrible events that split her family apart. Once started, this book is hard to put down. The story is weaved with suspense, passion,and magic. Religious intolerence is also a strong theme within this book. In Brunonia Barry's own words, 'Towner's story is a journey about healing and learning to trust both herself and others'.
This is a complex and tragic story, that very slowly reveals its interesting themes,characters and their family secrets. The story also has an unexpected twist to its ending! If you get the opportunity, this is a book that is well worth reading.


4 comments:

  1. Great review. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book from my library right now ad will be reading in sooon! I was glad to read your review of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Book Loving Mommy!
    I'm glad you found this useful! I hope you enjoy the story as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this book, it's a nice easy read, but I didn't love it. It took me until around the middle of it to really grip my interest, and I'd guessed a huge piece of the jigsaw before it was revealed, which probably spoiled the ending a bit.
    It's definately worth reading and I would read more by this author. Four stars from me

    ReplyDelete