Friday, 7 January 2011

Book Review - Write Great Fiction:Plot & Structure

Write Great Fiction:Plot & Structure 
by 
James Scott Bell  


Writer's Digest Books,Cincinnati,Ohio.2004
ISBN No: -13: 978 1 58297 294 7


I am aware that there are quite a few new budding writers out there who follow my blog, so when I happened to stumble upon and read this book, I immediately felt that I just had to highlight this book to you all!


'Write Great Fiction:Plot & Structure' is written by James Scott Bell. Within his biography, it states that James Scott Bell is a best selling author of thrillers, who has also won the Christy Award for Excellence in inspirational fiction. He was a former trial lawyer and has worked as a fiction columnist for the' Writer's Digest' magazine.


This book is written in a simple but very interesting style of language that is very clear and easy to follow. The book consists of fourteen chapters that contain a wide range of explanations, techniques, tips, tools, plotting diagrams, charts, check-lists and exercises, that will guide the reader in the development their 'plot' writing skills. The principal objective of this book is to assist a writer in creating a believable and memorable 'plot' within their story, from the beginning, right through until its end.  


'Write Great Fiction: Plot & Structure' is actually a 'fun book' to work through. It is also very reasonably priced, considering the amount of very valuable advice and information that it contains. I personally feel that this is one book that all budding writers both new and old, would really appreciate and value, hence this post! 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me! Would be useful to read alongside doing my Creative Writing degree :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome that someone is reviewing this book. I have it and it is a great way to get started writing. I can also recommend "On Writing" by Stephen King. The must have for all authors.

    ReplyDelete