Friday, 14 October 2011

Author Interview with A.L.Waddington



A. L. Waddington is the author of the new 'EVE' series. The first instalment in the series, Essence is currently available on her author website, alwaddington.com or the publisher’s bookstore, tatepublishing.com. It will be available in bookstores and online October 25, 2011. She holds a Bachelors of Science in Psychology from Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) and is currently a student at Marian University in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Angela, a very warm welcome to you, and can I thank-you for taking time out of your schedule to talk to us today.

It is my pleasure. Thank you very much for having me.

For our International readers can I start by asking you to tell us a bit about where in this ‘great big world’ do you live and what do you like best about living there?

I was born and raised just outside Indianapolis, Indiana. I have lived in both California and Texas, but Indiana will always be home to me. What I love best about Indy and missed the most while living in other regions was the changing of the seasons. I absolutely love Fall. It is my favourite time of year with its vibrant colours and the smell of apples and bonfires. And of course, we have the Indianapolis Colts!

 Do you think books that you read during your childhood may have had an influence on your current writing in any way?

Most definitely. As a child and teenager, I spent hours reading. While I enjoy movies, there is no greater escape from reality than getting lost in a good book. My father is an avid reader and got me addicted from a very young age.
Did you always want to become a writer?

Yes. I grew up writing poems and short stories, worked on the newspaper in Junior High and took Creative Writing in High School. I started working on writing my first novel when I was about twenty-one.

Do you have a set writing routine when you are working on a novel?

Yes, it is almost impossible not to. Since I am an adult student, I spend my mornings on my coursework and my afternoons either writing or editing. My evenings I spend with my family and when everyone retires for the night, I spend a few more hours writing. I typically write the most during the hours between nine at night and three in the morning.

Where do you write best?

Even though I have an office in my home, I write best on my lap top in my family room. I create some of my best work when I am surrounded by my family with the television blaring and the endless chatter between them.

Can you tell us a bit about your new novel entitled ‘Essence’?

‘Essence’ is essentially two separate stories with the same underlying premise that eventually overlap as the tails unwind into one. The narrator of the stories, Jocelyn Timmons discovers that she is living two drastically different lives on parallel planes of existence. Falling asleep in one and waking up in the other. Half of the story is told from 2009’s Jocelyn’s viewpoint while the other half is seen through her eyes in 1878. There is romance, suspense and drama all wrapped up with the boy across the street.

What was your inspiration for the theme that you have followed within this story?

My inspiration for the creation of the ‘EVE’ series was my three teenage children and their strong love for the imagination of something just a little beyond their own existence. I have written my manuscript(s) in a fashion that would appeal to this particular genre’s ever-changing reality that translates into the adult world and allows them to melt into a world grounded in reality yet makes them ponder their own perception of reality.

You are planning other books as a follow on from ‘Essence’ which you have told us is called the ‘EVE’ Series. Can you tell us something about this series?

I am currently working on the fourth instalment, ‘Illumination’ in the ‘EVE’ series. The foundation for the series is created in ‘Essence’, elaborated further in the second instalment, ‘Conscious’ and blossoms in the third, ‘Perception’ followed by a unique twist in the fourth, ‘Illumination’. The series chronicles the life of Jocelyn Timmons as she discovers that she has the inherited gift of Essence Voyager Era (EVE), which is where an individual possess the ability to live parallel lives on separate planes of existence. Throughout childhood and early adolescence, a barrier remains intact at the conscious level to prevent awareness of the other life from crossing each other. However, during late adolescence to early adulthood, the barrier between the two worlds begins to disintegrate causing the auditory and visual hallucinations of their other life to break into conscious awareness. The ‘EVE’ series follows Jocelyn as she learns about her unique gift, the challenges she faces with living parallel lives across 130 years and the drastic differences between her two worlds.

What genre would you say that your books fit into?

 ‘Essence’ (and the ‘EVE’ series) is freshly unique in that it bridges genres with its crossover between teen/chick/mom//lady as a work of Commercial Fiction under Romance/Time Travel/Science Fiction. The main characters are relatable to a large audience in that their age group is late teens to early twenties. The narration of the story is told from 18 year old Jocelyn Timmons viewpoint and the distinctively different lives that she leads on parallel planes when her soul travels nightly.  It’s sort of that Twilight/Harry Potter genre where people of varied ages have read it and said they loved it.

Studying and looking after a family and a home can be very demanding, as is writing novels to publishing deadlines, do you have any hobbies or other interests that you enjoy in order to give you a break from these regular full time demands?

I love gardening/landscaping. When we bought our new home several years ago my husband and I remodelled the entire landscape. We added numerous gardens and flower beds. Every year we add something new. It is still a work in progress that we enjoy sharing. We also walk about six miles every evening after dinner. It gives us a chance to spend some time alone, clear our heads and talk about our day, the children and anything else. He, as well as my children, have become a sounding board for my writing. If I get blocked or am having trouble with where the storyline is going, I bounce ideas off them and get their input on various characters and/or events.

 Can you give any advice to new writers, as they struggle to try to achieve a work life balance when possibly working, bringing up a family, writing and also probably trying to promote their books as well?

Don’t ever give up on your dreams. Write whenever you can, even if it is just a half hour a day. I remember writing in the afternoons during naptime when my children were small or after I put them down for the night. It is hard, but if it wasn’t then everyone would do it. Believe in yourself and your writing. Don’t be afraid to sell yourself. Follow the guidelines that publishers/literary agents ask for. Don’t worry about the dozens of rejection letters you receive...and you will receive them. I have enough to wallpaper my entire house with! Don’t give up, it only takes one yes!

What is your favourite book and why?

My favourite book is ‘Gone With the Wind’ by Margaret Mitchell. Although Katie Scarlett was not exactly a nice lady, she had strength, character and gumption. She persevered in the face of tragedy and did what she had to do for survival.

My father is a huge history buff and as a child I listened to endless stories of not only American History, but World History. He made history come alive for me in a way that no classroom ever did. He made it fascinating in that he would show me how the cause and effects of events shaped the world into the place we now live in. I suppose that is why in my own writing I mixed history in with the current reality.

Are you currently reading any books at the moment, and if so what are they?

There are several actually when I find time. I just started reading ‘The Lost Symbol’ by Dan Brown for my leisure and ‘The Founders on the Founders’ edited by John P. Kaminski because it is very intriguing. I try to read a couple passages a day. ‘The Civil War; Day by Day’ by Phillip Katcher, ‘Beneath a Northern Sky; A short history of the Gettysburg Campaign’ by Steven E. Woodworth and ‘Now The Drum of War; Walt Whitman and his Brothers in the Civil War’ by Robert Roper for research for the ‘EVE’ series. Even though my series is fictional I believe that when creating fiction around historical events, it is important to have knowledge of the time period and what was entailed within.

From what you have shared with us today, it can be clearly seen that you are kept very busy within your life but enjoy it to the full! To conclude this interview can you finally tell us what simple things in life make you smile?

My husband and my children. I absolutely love being a mom and a wife. They make me very proud and after spending all day at home alone working on the computer either writing or doing schoolwork, when they walk through the door in the late afternoon, it always makes me smile!

Angela, it has been a great honour for me to work with you on this interview for my literary site. I would like to thank-you once again for taking the time to speak to us today.

Thank you very much for having me. I have truly enjoyed it. I hope everyone has a great week and has as much fun reading ‘Essence’ as I did writing it.

You can find out more about Angela and her writing by clicking on the link to her website below:
http://www.alwaddington.com/



‘Essence’ is due for its official release on the 25th October 2011. You can pre-order a copy by following either of the links below:


2 comments:

  1. Nice interview again, will look out for this book

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris. It is a beautifully produced book with a very well written story too!

    ReplyDelete