Friday, 30 March 2012

'A World Apart' by Camelia Miron Skiba




I was not too sure in relation to what I was about to discover when I started to read ‘A World Apart’ by Camelia Miron Skiba. As I gradually worked my way through this book, it quickly turned into a ‘page turner’ that was difficult to put down once started and it definitely did not disappoint!

This is Camelia’s second novel and is written in a style that displays very clearly, the author’s marvellous writing ability and the skills of a true story teller. The reader very quickly becomes embroiled within this particular story which moves from the United States of America to Romania and then to Iraq.

‘A World Apart’ is set during the period of the Iraq war in 2007. The two main characters within this story, Cassandra Toma a doctor serving with the Romanian military and Major David Hunt an American doctor, grab your attention right from the start of this book. As their relationship develops or falters as the case may be, you do have to keep reading to see how things actually turn out for them in the end.

This though, is not your usual type of romance novel. Richly written, cultural and historical issues are interwoven throughout the story. There are also military action scenes that take place during a period of active service in Iraq. These scenes are written so vividly, that the reader will not find it very difficult to imagine themselves standing beside the main characters within this story as the military action scenes are played out. There is some adult content within this book, but it is tastefully written and is written in context with the tale that is being told.

This is a five star story in my opinion that is well worth taking a look at if you get the chance. I am also looking forward to reading any further books that Camelia Miron Skiba may publish in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Calum,

    Thank you so very much for the lovely words. My book tour couldn't end on a better note.
    Is it tea time yet?
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be time for a cup of tea and I still have a wee bit of that rum you brought left to go with it!
      ;-)

      Delete
  2. Great review!! I love this book too! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh that is a wonderful review. I have added this book to my to read list.

    ReplyDelete