Saturday, 30 June 2012

Books and Authors Featured on Recent UK Postage Stamps!


I thought that I might do something slightly different from my usual posts here this weekend. As well as being a collector of books, I also collect mint (unused) stamps (I think there might just be a bit of a hoarder in me, and no I'm not boring, quite the reverse! ;-) . Stamps can be used to exhibit some magnificent miniture works of art and this year Royal Mail in the United Kingdom have issued two wonderful sets of book related stamps!


On 12th January 2012 six of the author Roald Dahl’s most popular children’s stories were featured on a set of Royal Mail stamps. The stories featured on these stamps included Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Fantastic Mr Fox, James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, The Twits and The Witches. As many of Dahl’s best loved stories have been illustrated by Quentin Blake, his illustrations were used for these Stamps.


On 19th June 2012 Royal Mail also celebrated the bicentenary of Charles Dickens birth with a special stamp issue featuring some of Dickens’ best-known characters. The Mint Stamps feature Mr. Bumble, Mr. Pickwick, The Marchioness, Mrs. Gamp, Captain Cuttle and Mr. Micawber; drawn in around 1890 by the artist Joseph Clayton Clark, also known as Kyd.




A striking Miniature Sheet was also issued with this series that comprises four First Class stamps bearing illustrations by Hablot Knight Brown, aka Phiz, taken from the original publications. It also has a quote from Dickens in its border, together with his key dates and a facsimile of his signature.


I hope you have enjoyed this slightly different feature. Do let me know what you think! I might just make collectors out of of you all yet! :-)

 Futher details about these and other UK stamp issues can be found on the Roal Mail website at: http://shop.royalmail.com/stamps-collectibles+gifts/icat/cat111/

8 comments:

  1. Those look great, I especially like the Charles Dickens ones in the middle of your post. The Miniature set is pretty neat too, though a bit dark which makes it hard to see the details. Definitely THE stamps to use when writing a card to a fellow bookaholic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment Brigit. I do enjoy receiving letters with interesting stamps on them. Beats e-mails every time! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Great artwork, i love when the stamps are so detailled ( not just a letter or a 1-__-") there are some really great.
    I was a collector when i was younger but i've stopped ( i had to choose stamp or boosk , books won) but i still see a lot of them because my mother has a shop for stamps' collectors ( stamps and material) so from all over the world there are some ( i found amusing the one about harry potter ^^;;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky Miki! I could easily get lost in a shop full of stamps. Next best thing to a book shop!;-) Stamps have got very expensive and I do not collect them as much as I used to. I would only get a set now if it caught my interest. We had a beautiful set of stamps issued last year based on 'Myths and Legends'. Two of the stamps were based on characters from Harry Potter and Royal Mail made a special Harry Potter sheet titled 'Heroes and Villains' which I have now added to the end of my origional post.

      Delete
    2. My favourite are the one for the WWF *___* so cute

      If one day you come to my country you could love it then ^^ ( small shop but with stmp in every box ^^;;)

      Do you collect only the Royal mail or not? Perhaps one day if you participate in something like RAK i could buy some for you ( unused i got it ^^ in french it's called " non oblitéré")

      Delete
  3. I love those stamps. I have the Potter book covers collection but will definitely try to get the Dahl ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I bow down to the UK stamps coming out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some good ones. I think I might just put another UK stamp post up next weekend for the history buffs among us! Just to let everyone know, I do not hold any shares in Royal Mail! ;-)

      Delete