Saturday, 29 September 2012

An Interview with Author Rionna Morgan

 
 
Growing up out West, Rionna Morgan followed her love of horses to the rodeo arena and her love of English to the classroom and to writing.  Rionna is a founding member of Montana Romance Writers; she reads as much as she can possibly hold, and she loves most of all combining the chilling edge of a knife with the sweet surrender of romance. Rionna shares her home in Missoula, Montana with her husband, her four children and the mountains outside her window.

A very warm welcome to you Rionna and can I thank you, for taking time out of your busy schedule to talk to us today.

You are welcome.  I am very excited to spend time with you and your friends.  I love to meet new people, and I am thrilled to meet new friends from other parts of the world!

Can I ask what sort of books did you like reading as a child?

I read all manner of things.  I can remember reading the ghastly ghost stories and staying awake all night.  My poor mother!  I loved books like 'The Black Stallion', 'King of the Wind' and 'Black Beauty'.  I loved Nancy Drew.  I would pour for hours over this great big book of the universe with its amazing photos of the Milky Way and the majestic planets.  I was so fascinated by it.  As I grew older, I fell in love with poetry and the words the poets wove making love last forever.


Do you think the books that you read as a child have influenced your writing in any way?
I definitely do.  I love a good mystery.  I love things beyond our realm of fact and tangible knowledge.  I know that love can last beyond the bonds of time; the poets said so.


Do you have a set routine when you are working on a novel?
I research like mad first.  I think of every possible outcome.  I interview people.  I read about professions I’m highlighting in the novel.  I work out an outline on a single sheet of paper.  I’ve tried to make it more elaborate, but have found doing that is cumbersome.  Single sheet of paper works like magic.  It gives me a guide to follow, but I’m not reined in by too much structure. 


Where do you do your writing best?
I can write anywhere.  I have this great little gadget, an ‘AlphaSmart’.  I love it.  It is just a little word processor, and it only allows me to type.  No internet, no Twitter, no Facebook, only writing.  I do find that a nice cup of tea, a silent evening lengthening into night, quiet Celtic music and my imagination is the best combination for composing. 


What helped you decide to actually write romance novels?
Besides loving to read them, I guess I would have to say the happily ever after.  Every romance ends well.  I love to read.  I read everything…Toni Morrison, Shakespeare, Cormac McCarthy, Edgar Allan Poe, Jack London etc… I have found that I have the hardest time returning to an author who does not write the happy ending.  I think life is hard enough all on its own.  It is nice to sink into a story and know that no matter the journey, the ending will be happy. 

 
When you are writing a novel, how do you place yourself into the period of time that you are actually writing about?
 
I really do stick with contemporary times.  I have tossed around the idea of a futuristic story, but I always come back to the time in which I live.
 
How do you go about imagining, developing and give real lives and personalities to the characters that we read about within in your books?
 
I create their lives.  I get to know my characters like friends.  I question their motives.  I wonder what made them do what they do.  I give them a past that will lead them to the future I’m going to put them through.  My back-story is huge.  And maybe only one sentence will make it to the book itself. 

Did you encounter any difficulties in getting you books accepted and published?
 
Oh yes.  My first book, 'The Wanting Heart' was rejected nearly 200 times by agents and publishers.  'Judge Thyself First', my next book set to be released November 2012 was less. 
 
 
Did you have to undertake any research for your novels?
 
I do.  I am currently researching schizophrenia.  
 
What is your favourite book and why?
Goodness that is like asking me to pick my favourite snowflake, my favourite star.  Impossible! 


Are you currently reading a book at the moment, and if so what is it?
Yes, I’ve actually read three…starting two days ago.  The next book I plan to read is ‘Angel’s Fire’ by Nora Roberts.  It was published while I was getting my Masters so I couldn’t read it then.  It’s been waiting for me, like a new ice cream cone. 

 
Do you have any other hobbies or interests that you enjoy in order to give you a break from your normal routine and your writing?
 
I love to cook.  Bake.  I really enjoy making chocolate chips cookies.  They seem to be a family favourite.  I also enjoy photography.  But, mostly I love traveling and spending those precious moment with my kids.

Can you give us a hint about any other books that you may have in the making at the moment? 

I am working on a ghastly story.  I love it.  The book is about an artist who stumbles across a murder scene that has a fairy tale twist.  Hint…its Halloween and the girl trips over a body that has a burning jack-o-lantern for a head.  Creepy!! 


Rionna, to bring our interview to a close can you tell us a bit about the unique monthly giveaway you offer on your website?
I give a way every month a Piece of Montana.  All one has to do to enter is visit my blog and sign up.  Easy!  Readers from all over the world have entered.  I love sharing my state with them! J 
 
Rionna, it has been an absolute delight and honour that you agreed to be interviewed for my blog. I would also like to thank-you again for taking the time to speak to us today.
 
 
You are so welcome Calum. I have had a wonderful time as well!
 
 



 
Amazon UK -'The Wanting Heart'
Amazon.com -'The Wanting Heart'


If you would like to find out more about Rionna and her writing, the link to her website is given below:


4 comments:

  1. She is so nice what a great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana! :-) Rionna is a lovely person to know.

      Delete
  2. Dana and Calum! You two are so wonderful! Thank you for saying such wonderful things about me. :) I am sorry I did not respond sooner; I was at a writing conference. The Montana Romance Writers Conference to be precise...it was wonderful!!

    All the Best,
    Rionna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for calling by Rionna! It is appreciated :-) Glad you enjoyed the Writers Conference.

      Delete