About World Book Day
World Book Day was designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration of books and
reading, and is marked in over 100 countries around the globe.
World Book Day is a partnership of publishers, booksellers and interested parties who
work together to promote books and reading for the personal enrichment and
enjoyment of all. A main aim of World Book Day in the UK and Ireland is to encourage
children to explore the pleasures of books and reading by providing them with the
opportunity to have a book of their own.
To mark the day, school children are entitled to receive a World Book Day £1 Book Token (or equivalent €1.50 Book Token in Ireland). The Book Token can be exchanged for one of eight specially published World Book Day £1 Books, or is redeemable against any book or audio book of their choice costing £2.99 or more at a participating bookshop or book club. The World Book Day £1 Book Token will be valid from 27th February to 25th March 2012.
The full list of World Book Day £1 books for 2012 is:
• The What the Ladybird Heard Song, Julia Donaldson and Lydia Monks
• Winnie Flies Again, Valerie Thomas and Korky Paul (Oxford University Press)
• Where’s Wally Now?, Martin Handford (Walker Books)
• Magic Molly: The Clever Little Kitten ttle Kitten, Holly Webb (Scholastic)
• Roald Dahl's Fantabulous Facts, Roald Dahl (Puffin)
• How to Train Your Dragon: The Day of the Dreader, Cressida Cowell (Hodder
• Big Day Out, Jacqueline Wilson, Illustrated by Nick Sharratt (Random House)
• Skulduggery Pleasant: The End of the World, Derek Landy (HarperCollins) 2
About National Book Tokens National Book Tokens
National Book Tokens are the perfect gift for book lovers everywhere and are the only
gift cards sold and accepted in bookshops across the UK and Ireland, including all the
major chains and local independents. As proud sponsors of World Book Day, National
Book Tokens supports lifelong learning and improving literacy and access to reading
for everyone. Visit www.nationalbooktokens.com for more information.
Have a great day and happy reading everyone!