Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Author Interview with Cait O'Sullivan



Cait O'Sullivan is an author with a love of words and magic, having had the good fortune to grow up in Ireland. The wanderlust in her blood sent her out to travel the world and now, residing in a leafy suburb of London, it is her thoughts and memories that journey far and wide in order to create her stories.

A very warm welcome to you Cait, and can I thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to talk to us today.
You’re very welcome Calum, I’m very happy to be here.


For the benefit of our International readers can you tell us a bit about the part of the world that you are currently resident in and why do you like living there?
I’m living in London at the moment and whereas I do enjoy the benefits of living in a large city such as the ready access to new and exciting music and dance, I do miss Ireland and wouldn't half mind living there again.

Can I ask what sort of books did you like reading as a child?
‘Twas fantasy all the way for me': CS Lewis, Tolkien (obv), Stephen Donaldson, Raymond Feist that kinda thing.


Do you think the books that you read as a child have influenced your writing in any way?
Well I started as a contemporary romance writer, now the fantastical elements have crept in. Heck what am I saying, they barged right in and said ta-daaaah! So yes, I guess you could say that, Calum.


Do you have a set routine when you are working on a novel?
At the moment, absolutely. I get out of bed at 5am, sneak downstairs, put the coffee on and go back to bed to write for two hours before my beauties wake up and the day starts. Once they’re at school, I go to a local coffee shop and write there for three hours. Thirty hours a week is what I strive to do.


Where do you do your writing best?
At my local coffee shop, aided wonderfully by coffee of course!


What helped you decide to actually write novels?
Having told people I wanted to write, the time came for me to do it, or to stop talking about it.


When you are writing a novel, how do you place yourself into the time period that you are actually writing about?

Easy—I write in this time period, give or take a couple of decades.


How do you go about imagining, developing and give real lives and personalities to the characters that we read about within in your books?

Generally I’ll have a vague image in my head of my characters, then I give them free rein to say or do what they like, very rarely censoring them or hauling them back. I hope this works!!


Did you encounter any difficulties in getting you book accepted and published?
Not really, no, thankfully. ‘Sefton Manor’ was accepted by Musa and then I wrote ‘Mugs’ to accompany it on it’s publishing journey which Musa happily loved too.

Did you have to undertake any research for your books?

My WIP at the moment took up a lot of research, but no, generally speaking I don’t do a lot of research.

What is your favourite book and why?
‘Lord of the Rings’. I haven’t yet come across another book that I love with such a passion as I did this trilogy. I used to read them every summer, sitting in the apple tree in our garden in Ireland. I would love to meet another book that has the same effect on me, but I’m still waiting. Any ideas?

Are you currently reading a book at the moment and if so, what is it?
‘Game of Thrones’, book IV. I’m wading through it because my WIP is fantasy and I think George RR Martin’s imagination is so immense, I’m looking for tips!

Do you have any other hobbies or interests that you enjoy in order to give you a break from your normal routine and your writing?
 Dancing and music, either West African or Irish…have you listened to the kora yet? If I can’t get my fix there, I love spinning and walking as long as it doesn’t intrude with my 30 hour week ;).


Can you give us a hint about any other books that you may have in the making at the moment?
LOL.  I've give you lots of hints. It is a departure from what I've written before, as it is epic fantasy and whilst there will be a bit of romance, that’s only secondary to the main story. Let’s see, what else can I tell you? The first one is set in Ireland…and nope, you can’t hear anymore. I’m half way through the first draft and have a deadline to get it finished by Christmas. 


Cait, I have been absolutely delighted and very honoured that you agreed to be interviewed for my literary site. I would also like to thank-you again for taking the time to speak to us today.


I’m honoured myself to be here among such esteemed company — thank you, Calum.


If you are interested in finding out more about Cait and her writing, just click on the web hyperlink given below in order to be taken to her website:



Two New e-book Novellas Just Released by Cait:-






3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me here today, Calum. I'll pop in and out to check for any questions which I'd happily answer :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should've mentioned, Calum, that Musa are giving away a free cookbook with any purchase from their site...must go get one :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too Cait. It is really appreciated that you have spent some of your valuable time here for us at 'The Secret Writer'! :-)

      Delete