- New Award Celebrates ‘Trailblazing’ Publishing Talent Under 30 -
London, 17 February 2016: The winners of the Trailblazer Awards were revealed last night at an event hosted by The London Book Fair and in partnership with the Society of Young Publishers and BookBrunch.
The winners of the first Trailblazer Awards were:
· George Burgess, Entrepreneur and Marketing Lead at Gojimo
· Clio Cornish, Executive Publisher at HarperCollins
· Nick Coveney, Head of Digital at Kings Road Publishing
· Ella Kahn, Co-Founder of DKW Literary Agency & Bryony Woods, Co-Founder of DKW Literary Agency
The Trailblazer Awards invited members of the publishing industry to nominate themselves and others to find young publishers ‘trailblazing through their twenties’. The 2016 winners, who each demonstrated innovation and ambition in the book industry, will be honoured at the LBF International Excellence Awards on Tuesday 12th April.
Novelist Ayisha Malik, who began her career at Penguin Random House before joining Cornerstones Literary Consultancy, where she is now Managing Editor, gave an opening speech at the Awards last night, which took place at the Covent Garden Hotel. Malik’s debut novel, Sofia Khan is Not Obliged, draws on her own experience in publishing in her twenties, and was published in January 2016.
Jacks Thomas, Director of The London Book Fair, commented: “We have been blown away by the talent and energy exhibited by the entrants for the first Trailblazer Awards. The winners each stood out for the ways they are shaping the publishing industry of the future through their drive, determination, and willingness to innovate. They are true trailblazers.”
Chosen by a panel of judges – including Jacks Thomas, BookBrunch’s Tobias Steed, John Athanasiou, Director of People at HarperCollins, Seonaid MacLeod, Campaigns Manager at The Publishers Association, and Anna Cunnane, Export Sales Manager at Kyle Books – the five winners will each receive:
· VIP entry to The London Book Fair 2016
· Membership to The Club at the Ivy pop-up at the Fair and to the main club in Covent Garden throughout the week
· A profile in BookBrunch as part of the LBF edition, which will be distributed at the Fair
· Five minute interviews with The London Book Fair which will be hosted on the LBF website and promoted through the Fair’s social channels
· Invitation to SYP dedicated networking drinks during the week of LBF 2016 and invitation to and inclusion in the LBF International Excellence Awards